Sunday, April 1, 2012

Flex Pay

I have done well in incorporating aerobics and strength training into my Younger Next Year repertoire, which I began in earnest in August 2009. Sure, I am not as fast on the bicycle as I used to be. When I was in my 20s, and doing a tin man triathlon, I averaged 18 mph for the bicycle. Now I am lucky to hit 15 when I am pushing it, hard. And my weights are not terribly heavy. I am training to be an endurance athlete, not Charles Atlas or Mike Tyson.

My efforts toward gaining flexibility, however, have been more haphazard. Every hour at work I would get up to do some stretching. That was mostly designed to improve my golf game, and worked predominantly on the arms while neglecting the legs.

Now I am adding an hour-long routine of stretching to my Sunday rest day in hopes of getting some true flex pay.

As a person gets older, he naturally tends to get stiffer. I want to counteract that with an aggressive stretching campaign that targets arms and legs in a more even steven manner. Even if my work does not pay me much, I can become more rich in spirit if I give myself some serious flex pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment